NEC Emission Control SOx, NOx & Particulates Expertise
Helping you to meet your environmental limits and make the world a cleaner place.
Norton Engineering Consultants, Inc.’s highly experienced process, environmental and equipment SMEs assist clients in deciding the best technology for their specific emissions control need and ensure that clients get the best technology at the lowest cost. Our SMEs have many years of practical experience in emissions control dating back to 1970s.
We have developed refinery air emissions control technologies (SOx, NOx and PM); evaluated commercial technologies and their impact on operations; designed, operated and optimized numerous systems. Our engineers are among the world’s most highly regarded experts in the emissions control field.
NEC Emissions Controls expertise includes:
- Modernized technology for control of sulfur oxide (SOx) and Particulate Matter (PM) emissions from FCC’s including both wet and dry scrubbing systems. Norton Engineering offers a proprietary Venturi Scrubbing System (VSS) technology and purge treatment system for customers seeking a low cost solution for new emission requirement.
- Independent technical support for users/owners of wet scrubbing systems. Norton provides unbiased expertise in troubleshooting and repairing all different scrubber iterations. Refinery clients rely on Norton to optimize performance and reduce operating costs when seeking to change feed requirements or meet more stringent emission regulations.
- Turnaround support for wet and dry SOx control systems including: pre-turnaround assessments, T/A planning, design modifications and turnaround inspections and condition assessments.
- Reduce operating costs by minimizing Reagent consumption and evaluating suitable alternate reagent and make-up water supplies for wet scrubbers.
- Modernized technology or retrofit processes for control of particulate matter (PM) emissions from FCC’s including both wet and dry removal systems (Wet Gas Scrubbers, Electrostatic Precipitators & Bag Houses).
- Norton’s engineers worked with clients and vendors in the South Coast Air Quality Management District (California) to develop ESP design criteria to allow this equipment to meet the most stringent performance standards in the world.
- Develop solutions for reduction of particulate including SO3. Norton’s engineers are leaders in the development of flue gas treatment technologies to reduce sulfur trioxide (SO3) emissions using ESPs.
- Norton Engineering has designed numerous ESPs for the world’s largest independent oil company for FCC and Fluid Coker applications.
- Norton Engineering assists clients in improving ESP performance through design modifications and flue gas conditioning.
Dating back to the 1970’s, Norton Engineering has been helping customers reduce emissions of NOx by implementing numerous technologies including: Ultra Low-NOx Burners (ULNB), Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR), Selective Non-Catalytic Reduction (SNCR), Enhanced Selective Non-Catalytic Reduction (ESNCR), FCC Catalyst Additives, FCC Regenerator Design Enhancements, Combustion Steam Injection, Flue Gas Recirculation (FGR), and Wet Gas Scrubbing Plus (WGS+®).
NEC NOx Control expertise includes:
- Technology evaluations and emissions assessments for combustion systems NOx reduction.
- Evaluate and bench-mark current operations affecting NOx source emissions including:
- FCCU Reactor and Regenerator operations
- Delayed Coker operations
- Power Boiler operations
- Fired Heater operations
- Other NOx emissions sources both On-site and Off-site.
- Identify applicable technologies for NOx emissions control considering:
- Risk for Success
- Capital and Installation Costs
- Operational Costs
- Systems Integration with Existing Equipment.
- Reliability and Operability Evaluations.
- Develop staged emission control strategies to allow clients to capture “Low Hanging Fruit” and the preparation of process designs, detail engineering, design follow-up, Owner’s Engineer support, construction advisors, start-up support, and technical consulting for continuing operations.
- Our team can also help you improve operations by removing the constraints on existing FCCU downstream flue gas equipment and systems including: third and fourth stage separators, expanders, orifice chambers, pressure let down valves and stations, CO boilers and heaters, and flue gas ducting and components.
- Provide engineering services to recondition and/or rerate existing boilers and boiler emissions control equipment experiencing a change of process and/operating conditions.
- Design for turnaround planning and maintenance. Norton Engineering designed modifications to FCC flue gas waste heat recovery systems to reduce heat pick-up and to increase flue gas side pressure capability at minimum cost in support of a client’s SCR project.
- Evaluate regenerator flue gas or overhead circuit to develop lowest cost strategies to minimize overall emissions control project capital, optimize current equipment, and minimize operating costs.
- Norton’s specialists are experienced water and waste water treatment facilities with intimate knowledge handling purge flows from wet scrubbing systems.
- Assistance with permitting, development of alternative monitoring plans, unit assessments, emissions estimates, and stack testing evaluations.
- Interact and coordinate with federal and state regulators including: consent decree negotiations, technical support for commenting on new regulations or regulator requested permit modifications/additions. Some examples of services we have provided include:
- Consulting assistance to the Western States Petroleum Association (WESPA) on particulate and SOX control.
- Expert assistance to SCAQMD to review and update estimated costs of proposed regulations on both SOx and NOx for seven refiners in the LA Basin. Efforts were in support of the SOx and NOx RECLAIM program.